To generate credible, science-based information on organic agriculture; help build the competence of individuals and organizations in organic agriculture; and contribute to building ecologically, economical, socially viable, and equitable organic agriculture production system and industry in the Philippines
A knowledge and learning Center for all facets of organic agriculture, it shall be an excellent provider of a) support systems and services for the effective implementation of the Organic Agriculture Act (R.A. 10068), and b) advice and market linkages to all stakeholders of organic agriculture in the Philippines
Conventional agriculture has been known to cause health problems and result in detrimental effects to the environment. Thus the importance of the Organic Agriculture Act of 2010 or Republic Act 10068. The Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA 10068 contains specific provisions for financing of a national organic agriculture program including among others, the conduct of “...research, development and extension of appropriate sustainable environment and gender-friendly organic agriculture (OAA Section 4b)”.
The Department of Agriculture has allocated resources for the promotion and establishment of organic agriculture in the country. However, the lack of science-based knowledge and information on organic agriculture; limited and fragmented information available to stakeholders; weak capacity development; and inadequate policies and support services have prevented the rapid and successful establishment of organic agriculture in the country.
UPLB has research institutions and experts working on various research programs related to organic agriculture. Its interdisciplinary research laboratory facilities can help support the RDE needs of various stakeholders in organic agriculture in the country. With this strength and expertise, it has implemented an online learning program on organic agriculture with the UP Open University. It is now also moving towards offerring organic agriculture as a new major in the BS Agriculture degree program.
As the National University committed to serve the Filipino nation and humanity, UPLB will be able to relate its activities to the needs of the Filipino people through the NOARDEC. Gender-responsive and strategic research for the development of methodologies, new products, and quality standards will contribute to the competitiveness of the Philippine organic industry. Basic and applied research generated under Philippine conditions will also be relevant to the country’s specific needs and challenges. Moreover, reliable and science-based research programs and extension service will fast track the development of the Philippine organic industry.
- Build a strong science-based OA industry backed by high-quality, holistic, relevant and strategic R&D and proven indigenous knowledge systems (IKS)
- Promote a sustainable and economically vibrant organic agriculture industry among farmers and the private sector
- Strengthen the capacity of individuals, organizations, institutions, and networks to advocate for a harmonized and socially just OA industry
- Develop an appropriate science-based knowledge management system on OA that shall be actively adapted, shared and disseminated among OA stakeholders
- Generate credible and peer reviewed scientific knowledge through strategic research and development and assessment of indigenous knowledge systems
- Communicate the scientific findings and verifiable benefits of organic agriculture products and services through efficient knowledge management
- Develop capacities of stakeholders through inclusive and participatory capacity development, policy studies, and institutional strengthening
- Organizations of Filipino men and women farmers and fishers
- Private sector
- Government decision-makers, policy makers, officers, Organic Agriculture focal persons and staff in relevant national and regional offices
- Local government units (LGUs), particularly chief executives, local legislative councils and agriculture offices, non-government organizations/ civil society organizations (NGOs/CSOs)
- People/famers’ organizations (POs/FOs)
- Researchers, extensionists, and faculty of academic institutions
OSCAR B. ZAMORA, PhD
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
University of the Philippines Los Baños College, Laguna 4031, Philippines
Telefax No: (+63) 049 536-2306