Provide innovative agri-fisheries and biosystems mechanization technologies through cutting edge research, strategic extension delivery methods, synergistic networking, and responsive policy advocacies towards environment-friendly, gender sensitive, and sustainable agri-fisheries, and biosystems modernization
Excellence in RDE committed to agri-fisheries and biosystems mechanization in the Philippines that is responsive to the challenges of food security, energy sustainability, environmental protection, climate change, and globalisation.
AMDP was established in 1979 by UPLB’s College of Engineering and Agro-Industrial Technology (CEAT) (then Institute of Agricultural Engineering or INSAET), as its research and development and extension program in agricultural mechanization. In 1997, AMDP became part of the Institute of Agricultural Engineering of CEAT with approval of the UP Board of Regents at its 1107th meeting on 17 April 1997. Since its inception, AMDP has been undertaking various activities that contribute towards increasing agricultural productivity, improving the income of farmers, manufacturers and entrepreneurs, and shaping the RD&E and policy directions of mechanization in the country.
- Improve the production and postproduction system of the agro-fisheries sector
- Improve the local manufacturing system and linkages with foreign counterparts
- Lead and coordinate the agricultural and fishery mechanization RDE program of relevant academic institutions in the country
- Develop agro-fisheries business enterprises
- Strengthen RD&E capabilities of SCUs
- Develop specialized technology packages for agri-aqua mechanization
- Increase adoption of agro-fisheries mechanization technologies
- Increase generation and adoption of renewable and other alternative sources of energy
- Improve the agricultural mechanization support system through appropriate policy recommendations
- Conduct of basic research
- Design and development of agricultural machinery
- Testing and evaluation of agricultural machinery
- Conduct of mechanization needs assessment and analysis
- Development of mechanization technology package
- Conduct of machinery demonstrations and exhibits
- Development of training manuals, brochures, and other information dissemination materials
- Conduct of training
- Provision of technical assistance and expert services
- Formulation of policies
- Preparation of project proposal and farm mechanization plans
With technical backstopping provided by the IAE faculty, composed of its engineers, researchers, and extension workers, AMDP has:
- developed and promoted technology packages for corn, vegetables, coconut, cassava, municipal waste processing, farm power, and rural women entrepreneurs; and the shallow tube well technology, which became the centerpiece of the Agricultural & Fisheries Modernization Act
- developed the UPLB hand tractor, village-level rice mill, cassava lifter, UPLB drilling rig, manual corn sheller, motorized corn sheller, multicrop dryer, oil expeller, forage chopper, whole-nut cashew sheller, corn mill, organic fertilizer applicator, mini-hand tractor, windmill, village level ethanol production system and corn planter.
- been awarded as the Outstanding Research Program during UPLB’s 104th Foundation Day celebrated in March 2013 for its contribution to research and extension in agricultural mechanization.
Agricultural Mechanization Development Program
Institute of Agricultural Engineering
College of Engineering and Agro-Industrial Technology
University of the Philippines Los Baños
College, Laguna 4031, Philippines
Telefax: (+63) 49 536-3606; (+63) 49 536-2686